View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hey Becky,

I am so glad that you can continue the anti-viral.

And guess what my blood tests also came back as really high HSV-1. MY vzv was also high but the infectious disease doc feels it is more likley HSV-1 since it was in multiple places. And I two was negative for HSV-2.

Hard to believe that this common virus atleast for me is behind most of all my problems and flares the last couple of years to the point where it has become systemic in my system. I alo have an additional autoimmune issue of thyroid disease. I have tested negative for all the other autoimmune diseases.

I too get the heat in my head. The neuro explained its in the cranial nerves and often lives there or in C2 and C3. My neuro and some stuff that I read says that the HSV-1 virus live in the ganglion of the cranial and spinal nerves and starts essentially as ganglioitis or polyganglioitis when multiple cranial nerves are involved. Tell that to the neuro that would not listen to you about the virus and polyganglionitis. And polyganglionitis is both an inflammatory disease process as well as a virally induced immune complex. Inflammatory...that explains why it feels like those cranial nerves heat up. Especially after a shower for me or laying on or putting pressure on them.

I have been reading that HSV-1 infections can be caused by fever, trauma, emotional stress, sunlight, menstruation and ovulation.

I have been reading that the when its in the cranial nerves it can include many sensory nerve symptoms as wel as motor paralysis which I experienced.

Another thing I read which may pertain to you is that there can be an accompanying skin rash called eczema herpeticum which has an underlying dermatitis to it.

Anyway I am glad that you have found some help and relief and that the doc is willing to keep you on the antivirals. I also went down hill when I went from the high dose to a maintainence dose. For me 1 gram (1000mg) a day is what seems to work for me.

In terms of the white count my was actually on the low side and it was explained that a virus can keep your white count low.

Anyway I am learning more and more everyday and hope to get back to a more functioning state with my antiviral treatment. Maybe we also need to start posting in the Lyme/Shingles/HSV forum because it looks like we are both lucky and maybe pioneers for that forum and can help others.

Many
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote