View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 05:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Red face Memory

Hi,
I'm now 49; having had a stroke and being this age, (The whole perimenopause thing.) have seemingly had a field day with my memory. I can relate to being alone most of the time also, and friends not being available any longer.
I have to leave sticky notes all over the house for myself, I bought a plastic-magnetic board for the fridge to write stuff on, and I'm constantly using the timer on the stove for various things.
I can't drive anymore, and living as rurally as I do makes getting rides difficult; does she drive? If she can get to a stroke support group, they're VERY good for the osyche.
I'm afraid depression can be a part of this entire stroke journey. I'm 13+ years out now, and. (For me) I just started on another antidepressant; the combination of two are great - FINALLY!!
I would suggest her seeing a neuro-psychiatrist for an evaluation
Something that's helped me feel more secure when I'm alone, is a medical alert system. Since I came home from rehab I've had one, and it does bring me a degree of comfort; if something happens, maybe a fall - whatever - I just push a button that hangs around my neck, and I'm connected to someone who can notify police,fire or ambulance if I need them. It work from all over the house, and they're reasonably priced too.

I hope some of this helps.
Take care,
suse