Thread: thanks!
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 09:34 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Chiming in on MG & Apnea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras1256 View Post
I finally learned I had to modify my getting ready routine in the morning. You have to start a little earlier, but it's worth it. Plan to take a little break between segments.
I bathe/shower - 5-10 mins sit down - makeup - sit - blow dry - sit - curling iron - sit. I also got one of those little stand mirrors so I can sit to put on makeup.

I have to sit in a recliner with neck and back support to relax those upper body muscles. Just sit with eyes closed and don't use a muscle. This helped me with getting ready.

Kate is right about the Mestinon 180 (or timespan). It's time release isn't generally considered reliable enough for day use, but it does help to cover through the night and with the morning drags. Talk to your neuro about getting on it if you are waking up dragging.

Another thing to consider is a sleep study for apnea. I was dragging so bad in the morning, even with the timespan. They discovered I had apnea which I believe is fairly common in MGers. It helped with the energy level throughout the day and mental clarity too. They discovered I was getting virtually no REM (rejuventates the mind) OR Deep Wave (rejuvenates muscle) sleep. Combine that with MG and you have a real mess! The best part is, NO PILLS necessary to correct it - just the CPAP.

Some people find the CPAP to be a pain, but we've actually had some fun with it! My granddaughter named me Darth Vader the Elephant because of how I look and sound with it on and trying to talk! I'm now just DV the E at night!
I also have MG & Central and Obstructive Apnea. I use a Bi-Pap each night. Reading all I could about it implies that sleep apnea is a common secondary diagnosis for MG patients. My sleep studies also reflected I was getting less than two hours of meaningful rest per night, awaking hundreds of times to regain my breath. I believe the constant tiredness from lack of sleep magnified the MG symptoms.
GI6607 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote