Thread: Family Denial
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 11:22 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I think they understand...but they want it fixed....like take a pill...or have surgery...and then, you will be back to normal.....I do my best to be positive in front of my family..

I have learned to hide my symptoms well...I have also learned to compensate for my symptoms...for example...if I have having double vision after a long day at work..I go soak in the tub for 2 hours until I am fully rested...or if I am really tired...I say that I have alot of "work" to do on the computer...and this gives me an excuse to sit down and rest too. I can hide behind my laptop in the lazyboy for hours....however, I my eyes start to strain and get blurry....

I have kept up the "happy face"...until recently..when I crashed. I don't want to be complain so much that they blow me off...does that make sense?

Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryec View Post
My husband deals with my illness with denial, he knows I am very ill, but doesn't like to discuss, or want to learn about it. He is just scared, he has been through 3 crises with me, & a few emergency surgeries, plus thymectomy. So he knows, I can see it in his face. Then I have my mom, that throws out suggestions, but by what she says, I can tell she doesn't have an understanding either, you would think by now she would have some knowledgeof Autoimmune, as my grandmother had Lupus for years, denial again ! I think it is, as the old saying goes, what they don't know won't hurt them.
cricket001 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote