View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 05:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart careful with this one

Please be careful with the use of diuretics...you gave a great run down of warnings but also be aware that it if you have heart conditions it can cause serious problems. Also note that our swelling is not linked to the amount of fluid in our bodies but is from the rsd....the "edema" is not the same as it is for those who have other conditions that cause swelling. It may work for some though but I would caution using them on a as needed basis...due to the need of close monitoring that mike mentioned . If your wife finds that her swelling occurs during certain activities (like gardening) have her get up and move around every few minutes to keep the blood moving...this may help. I am new to the leg rsd...I just found out about my spread not too long ago so I want to thank you all for these responses because I will use some of the advice too.

Jennelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmichael View Post
Hey there, I too can't tolerate any compression around my feet and ankles - this being So. Cal. I go elmost everywhere in sandals - but have managed to keep the swelling (in both feet) maybe 70% under control with the use of a class of prescription medications called diuretics, which expell excess fluid from the body. However, they are not for everyone, as they can cause something call orthostatic hypotension - extreme lightheadedness while getting up from a seated position - particluarly for people on narcotics, as they will lower your blood pressure. I take up to 80 mg. of Oxycontin a day and luckily it hasn't been an issue for me.

Secondly, the diuretic (I take 20 mg. of Lasix, 2/day) must be taken with a prescription potassium supplement and you have to have periodic blood tests (every 4 weeks is suggested) to make sure there's no impairment of kidney functions. Interestingly, I was presented with this concept/prescription neither from my neurologist nor my pain mngt. doctor, but my internist, with the other two later concurring in the decision.

Finally, when you are on a diuretic, they will make you thirsty. It's important not to drink too much so they will do their job. (Hense the need to periodically monitor kidney functions.)

I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Mike
Jennelle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (05-19-2009)