View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 08:45 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennelle View Post
Please be careful with the use of diuretics...you gave a great run down of warnings but also be aware that it if you have heart conditions it can cause serious problems. Also note that our swelling is not linked to the amount of fluid in our bodies but is from the rsd....the "edema" is not the same as it is for those who have other conditions that cause swelling. It may work for some though but I would caution using them on a as needed basis...due to the need of close monitoring that mike mentioned .
If your wife finds that her swelling occurs during certain activities (like gardening) have her get up and move around every few minutes to keep the blood moving...this may help. I am new to the leg rsd...I just found out about my spread not too long ago so I want to thank you all for these responses because I will use some of the advice too.

Jennelle
`````````````````\/~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello Jennelle,

I agree with you about the use of meds for the swelling. Kind of like NSAIDS, did everyone see this past week where the gov't warned all seniors about using those?
Oh boy, now simple aspirin isn't "all that safe".

Now, this is gonna sound like a real P.I.A. (and it is) but, once you get set up right, it's great.

First, get to a durable medical goods store, (most insurance covers these 100%, just so your doctor writes 'em). (This might be Amazon for lots of ya'll). They're Dark Blue (get the darker ones), vinyl pouches filled with "Putty". (These are the same thing your PT or Chiro uses for therapy, they keep them in the freezer, So do you! I had a small one "Neck sized", and a full back size.) Heck, I had four of them in each of my freezers. I had lots! So, like one the size of a magazine, and one, twice that. (Just as I had the electric, "sand filled" wool wrapped hot "Hydrocolators", and the cold ones are the same Co. They' actually elongated a bit....
"Hydrocolator" are the hot ones, buy the ones that plug in, and "Chatanooga" are the ice packs you keep in the freezer. Know what?
Here's a great link to start shopping:

http://www.amazon.com/Chattanooga-St...2264288&sr=8-1

(Glad I kept it short there, huh?)

Get the "better" more HD ones of the cold packs, (they'd be the real darker colors.). Rinse them off, and toss them back in the freezer when you're done, what's great is, they stay PLIABLE! Yea, you can shape them to your feet when they're ice cold! Sit down for 45 minutes or so, and these little babies take the swelling right down! Do that, for a few / couple / once times a day, and you'll have the swelling under control! Along with the "worst" of the mottling and discoloration! My feet started this crap two years ago, and I said, No Way!

I "Iced 'em and Diced 'em"! They still give some crap every again and now... but, it's under control... for now.

Benefit: They also work great for headaches! And any other place that swells! (that shouldn't). Especially Summertime!
(Actually, I had them for the HA's first).

I recommend that you get a few. one for each foot, and if needed, one for your neck, or head. (JMHO). Two will get you started.

So, choose you chair (bed, ottoman, bathtub, whatever) have some medium sized bath towels, one for each foot, and a Chatanooga "Cold Pack" for each foot. I'm getting new ones. In the fall, I'll be talkin' about the electric ones! But, less than $25Us I'd figure each foot? Like that..

So, you sit, lay, recline, and wrap each foot in the Towel/HD Icepack/Towel over top to insulate. One towel should be big enough for each foot, get it? So, you're foot is gonna resemble a kind of "roll up". Towel to keep the "ice" cold off your skin, then around the out side of the pack, to insulate it and hold it on.
Towel over foot, then ice pack, then towel to cover!? Easy enough a HUSBAND could do it!
(Now, here's what wifey will forget. To keep the feet UP)...
We all on the same page now?
PM me, if not...

Heck, if you got a got a good ice maker in your fridge, you can make do with a pan.... tin pan alley..

Wrap, Wrap, Wrap,,, Wrap it UP!
(I"ll Take It!).

I hope that some one, somewhere gets a happy set of puppies for/from this story.....

Also, use "Gold Bond" powder, it's got all kinds of menthol in there that'll keep those Puppies cool when you've gotta be on them, and they make this new "Luxury powder" stuff, (says AintSoBad All over it!), it's great for Everywhere... It's a "Secret Ingredient",,,, NOT Talc!

Remember, NEVER EVER, Use Menthol anything, "Menthol ICE", like that, with a Hydrocolator, or HOT PACK! You'll BURN YO' SELF!

OK,
Get It?
Got It?
Good!

Pete
ASB
AintSoBad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (05-19-2009)