Thread: No Going Back
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I just hope I'm not being too hard on you. I am not meaning to be as blunt as I probably sound. It's just that I've read certain posts that you've written and I've honestly thought to myself at the time... OMG - Nikki is re-living that incident as she's writing about it.

It worries me. It's always worried me because it's at times like that when the thoughts are going around and around like a movie in your head, that is when you need to be in a really safe environment with someone to guide you through it. Some one who knows you and knows how to talk with you and knows how to guide you through those thoughts and out the other side, so that you're not left alone at home to keep thinking about it.

It's the one thing that I've always found most troubling about a few professionals who treat people going through traumatic memories like that... it's that when the hour is up, the person receiving the counselling needs to get themselves together, walk out of the room and somehow go home on their own... go home to what? More memories?

I should get off my soap box I guess, but I think it is so important that, in times of trauma or stress or depression, we are able to find a kind compassionate soul of a counsellor who knows how not to let that happen so that we can feel safe about leaving and feel stronger about what tomorrow will bring. Otherwise I think it can be really dangerous.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (05-14-2009), Curious (05-13-2009), Nik-key (05-13-2009), pono (05-15-2009)