Old 05-14-2009, 05:13 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmichael View Post
Dear Jennelle -

Hi there. I never meant to suggest that edema in CRPS patients is "caused" by the amount of fluid in our bodies. Neurogenic edema is indeed a creature unto itself. From what I understand, it is generally agreed that we have what's called a neurogenic vasodialation, that is that sympathetic nerve system ordinarily maintains the tone of the blood vessels and thereby blood pressure (it is said to fill or "innervate" the vessels with nerves) and as there is a local dysfunction in the sympathetic system, there is in turn a loss of vascular tone and with it a build up of fluid in the area. But fluid it is. And while the edema is not caused by the overall level of fluid in the body, it can be relieved, albeit temporarily, by reducing the overall level of fluid. This I know from first hand experience.

That said, these are by no means do-it-yourself medications, and should only be taken under the guidance of an internist who knows what s/he is doing, as there are the potential for significant complications if either the wrong drug is prescribed or you are contra-indicated for the drug. And as far as monitoring is concerned, a basic metabolic blood panel is no big deal. The doctor can give standing orders to a lab and - if this is the right choice for you - you show up every four to six weeks to have a single tube of blood drawn. I had to do the same thing for Trileptal, that is until my level of blood sodium started to fall all of a sudden, and then I was off the drug. Truth be told, we are all probably on medications for which we should be monitored. (But we're not.)

Now, a couple of thoughts for Pete. You will forgive me, I'm not sure it's appropriate to draw a comparison with Vioxx, where we now know that was a new drug that was rushed to market without a careful (as in any?) look at the major studies that had reviewed it's use. In contrast, it is my understanding that many of the diuretics have been around for a long time and the medical community has substantial familiarity with their use.

Secondly, everything I have heard from any reliable source in the eight years since I've had the pleasure of knowing this beast is to the effect that ice is to be avoided at all costs. I would seriously urge you to check out that procedure with your doctor, lest you really hurt yourself, as in possibly facilitating the spread of our shared acquaintance.

Mike

Thank you for posting this Mike.

I too was always told never to ice an RSD limb as it can make things soo much worse and can cause severe nerve damage.

Before I was diagnosed, the PT's told me to ice my leg and it made everything so much worse. The swelling, bruising, hypersenstivity, colour and temperature changes all got a lot worse and it was only when I was diagnosed that my Pain Management Doctor told my mum that icing is one of the worst things you can do for RSD.

I have since read lots of articles on the internet about ice being bad for RSD - it's just a shame that myself and others have used it thinking that it would make things better and it didn't.

We asked my Doctor whether using hot and cold bandages would be OK and he said that I could try it but that he doesn't recommend it either as research as proven that it can make things worse.

Thanks again for posting this !
Dew58 (05-19-2009), fmichael (05-14-2009)