Thread: choking
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 09:33 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you for all the well-wishes! I have had a busy few weeks, so haven't checked in here. Haven't choked again, but still feel as if water isn't going down with just one swallow. But now I am cautious whenever I drink.

Okay, now I need your opinions on something that happened to me. Last week, I had a couple of very stressfull, emotional, overwhelming days. It was just the last straw on the pile of crap I've been dealing with over the past two years. I took a few swigs from a bottle of whiskey, cried a bit with my sister, then laid down on my bed. I'm not a drinker, so didn't realize what a few swigs of whiskey would do. Didn't feel so good. Went to bathroom to make myself throw up any left in my stomach. Got back in bed. Needed to go to the bathroom. Stepped down quickly from my bed, which is rather high. Landed on foot wrong and it twisted and I felt horrible pain. Tried to stand up and realized my foot was unuseable. I started crying again, thinking "what else?". Crawled to my bedroom door, met by husband and son who heard my thud when I hit the floor. ALL OF A SUDDEN I COULDN'T BREATHE. Tried sucking air in, couldn't seem to get enough. After a minute or so of this, son called 911. As First Responders arrived, my fingers were gnarled up and I soon passed out. Next thing I remember was some man yelling at me if I didn't breathe, they were putting a tube down my throat. Guess I took a breath. Don't remember much after till in hospital with IV. Layed there a while then was released and was given written instructions by Dr. to "stay away from alcohol and see family doctor". My question is, could this have been mg related, or did I probably have a panic attack? I've had those, this wasn't anything like them. It hit fast and furious. Anyway, now my usual anxiety is doubled that this may happen again at any time. If it's possibly a small "crisis", I want a med. alert bracelet. When the EMT's asked my husband if I had any medical problems, he replied "No, just anxiety". I'm sure he was stressed, but please. Maybe I should have all my medical issues tattooed on my forehead! I would like opinions from those who have experienced a crisis. Are there different levels? Thanks in advance!
annemarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote