View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Hi Pam,

Sorry to hear of everything that you have been through! I hope things start getting better for you soon and you are in my thoughts!!

My mum looked into Accipuncture for me when I was first diagnosed with RSD as a family friend suggested it thinking that it might relieve some of the pain and other symptoms.

When I was diagnosed though, I had a Guanethidine nerve block and it made me so much worse and I was left wheelchair bound for 13 months. When we mentioned it to my Pain Management Doctor, he said that it isn't worth the risk in my case as my nerves are very hypersensitive (any knock, bump, injection etc makes things a lot worse).

My Doctor also said that he hasn't really seen Accipuncture work for that many people with RSD and that one of the worse things you can do, is to stick a needle into a limb that is already affected by RSD.

I think it depends on the indiviual but personally, I don't think it is worth the risk (especially in my case anyhow).

There's a few people on here that have had Accipuncture and had different experiences. Like everything with RSD, everyone reacts differently and therefore you can't determine how you will react.

I would definitiely do a lot of research into the Accipuncture though before you decide to go ahead with it and speak to others with RSD that have had it to see how they responded.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon !

Alison