View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 11:04 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali12 View Post
Thank you for posting this Mike.

I too was always told never to ice an RSD limb as it can make things soo much worse and can cause severe nerve damage.

Before I was diagnosed, the PT's told me to ice my leg and it made everything so much worse. The swelling, bruising, hypersenstivity, colour and temperature changes all got a lot worse and it was only when I was diagnosed that my Pain Management Doctor told my mum that icing is one of the worst things you can do for RSD.

I have since read lots of articles on the internet about ice being bad for RSD - it's just a shame that myself and others have used it thinking that it would make things better and it didn't.

We asked my Doctor whether using hot and cold bandages would be OK and he said that I could try it but that he doesn't recommend it either as research as proven that it can make things worse.

Thanks again for posting this !
All of this is such great info, especially for newbies. I have found in the last few weeks that a warm damp towel with the heating pad over it really helps my foot and ankle pain and actually reduces the swelling some.
Miz Lizzie
Miz Lizzie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote