Thread: Low Grade Fever
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 02:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Ellie,

I've had low grade fevers for several years... But recently when I had a lot of dental discomfort (I had dental implants but when I was so sick and could barely move, I unscrewed the little pegs because there was major swelling.)

The dentist took a look at my x-rays, looked worried and sent me to a respected Periodontist in town.

It turns out that even when I'm not aware of it there's an infection in the bone of my jaw. As I understand it, it's caused by the old type of implants I had which had a bumpy surface to promote the bone adhereing to them. Apparently the bumpy surface also is condusive to infection.

But, what was eye-opening to me, was that the bumps I tend to have on my neck are a sign of this kind of infection, and the fever is most likely related.

The bumps are like subcutaneous zits. They don't ever seem to come to a head, that's why I call them subcutaneous.

The Periodontist actually has them listed on his sheet of things to tick if you have experienced them.

When I was talking with the Periodontist, he told me that Ibuprofen, (I was taking 600mg three to four times a day for a very long time, and then more intermittently) is bad for bone.

But I failed to get clear whether he meant all bone, or just the bone by our teeth.

You may not have bumps on your neck... but if you do, you might want to have some dental x-rays... Maybe it's something a dentist could help with.

I was just very surprised that my teeth were having such a huge impact on all of my body... the fever, etc.