Thread: Family Denial
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 10:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, and ((welcome))
This question always gets to me. It saddens me greatly when I read how family treats some of you the way they do.
I have a great husband, and two daughters who really understand. I'm so thankful for them.

But, there is an area in my life, that I just never know how to deal with it.
My little brother, is disabled and lives in a group home for people with learning, and mental disabilities. I try and take care of his appointments, and such. Basically make sure that he doesn't get over medicated, and that his basic needs are met. I also, try to go to some of his doctors appointments with him. But ofcourse I can't go to all. Just can't.
Anyways, one thing I get often is. "Well, if you are so concerned about the communication between your brother and the doctor, maybe someone should come with him"
And they can be quite sarcastic about it too.
This last time it happened, I blew, I told the receptionist, that I understood her inference, and I didn't appreciate it, as I was dealing with serious medical issues myself, and physically can't go to all his appointments. And for her not to do that to me again,as it was very unfair. I didn't appreciate it at all. That I did everything in my power to take care of him, but due to serious health issues I can't do it all the time. That's why they have staff at his home, to do some of it. (the doctor just has to ask them to come with my brother)
I know, they probably don't believe me, and probably think I'm just too lazy, or unconcerned to be there with him.
But it still makes me feel like garbage. If I had my health, I'd be at every appointment.
Oh, and this particular appointment was about him getting inserts in his shoes...yes, a life threatening problem..
I don't understand people, I really don't.
Love Lizzie
Maxwell'sMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote