View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Hi John, fellow musician

Hello John,

I have been focusing on exercise for awhile and it does help. I get frustrated and have to be careful not to use my husband's example as an excuse not to exercise. He is 6 ft. tall and weighs 318 pounds. I get so discouraged when he makes no effort to improve his health and work my tush off to try to slow the progression. Oh well, I answer to God regarding my behaivior. Wouldn't want to let him down!

I taught, as well as played professionly, woodwind instruments for 8 years. I still play oboe in a community band, but am fighting the authorities about wearing frozen gel packs in a hat and vest made by the MS Society. They are very particular about uniforms. Most of the concerts are outdoors in the summer and I can't function in the heat. Pretty sure I have won that battle as I went to the top and he promised to back me up.

If you love music as much as I do, I would highly recommend tw books by the same author, Daniel J. Levitin. "This is Your Brain on Music" and " The World In Six Songs." These books will increase your desire to keep playing when you learn the benefit it gives you. When I was evaluated by the occupational therapist, he said I was in the 98% of normal women for finger dexterity.

Keep Practicing,
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote