View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default 4 years post injury

Sounds like he is right. At 4 years post injury, you ought to be permanent and stationary. The CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) will most likely teach you coping systems and work-arounds. These can be very worthwhile. They will not likely improve your condition but can make many of your symptoms easier to deal with.

At your stage, work-arounds and accommodations can make a big difference. I have to think differently to get things done. Since I have very little immediate and short term memory, I cannot go on as if I can remember. By accepting my memory problems, I do not get stuck trying to do something that is impossible to do with my bad memory.

When I use the stove, I have to set the timer to five minutes so that it buzzes and calls me back to the stove in five minutes. Otherwise, I can easily forget I am using the stove and burn something or worse cause a fire.

I have learned to notice toilet paper in the toilet when I flush. If I do not see any, I need to consider whether I needed to use toilet paper. I got up from the toilet a few times and forgot to finish the paperwork. Now, I have a work-around.

The habits from the past that were based on a good memory system have to be relearned.

How bad are your symptoms? Has the Neuro-psych tested you? What was his diagnosis?

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote