View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 10:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Sounds like he is right. At 4 years post injury, you ought to be permanent and stationary. The CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) will most likely teach you coping systems and work-arounds. These can be very worthwhile. They will not likely improve your condition but can make many of your symptoms easier to deal with.

At your stage, work-arounds and accommodations can make a big difference. I have to think differently to get things done. Since I have very little immediate and short term memory, I cannot go on as if I can remember. By accepting my memory problems, I do not get stuck trying to do something that is impossible to do with my bad memory.

When I use the stove, I have to set the timer to five minutes so that it buzzes and calls me back to the stove in five minutes. Otherwise, I can easily forget I am using the stove and burn something or worse cause a fire.

I have learned to notice toilet paper in the toilet when I flush. If I do not see any, I need to consider whether I needed to use toilet paper. I got up from the toilet a few times and forgot to finish the paperwork. Now, I have a work-around.

The habits from the past that were based on a good memory system have to be relearned.

How bad are your symptoms? Has the Neuro-psych tested you? What was his diagnosis?
For lack of a better word,I am not that bad or as bad as timers and paper but having lasting problems.I was a long distance truck driver specializing in hazardous waste in bulk.I hauled things that would be very hazardous to people and the environment.I will never be back in that game again.I still have some problems that are corrected with a gps unit sometimes being used here at home.I mean 1-2 miles away from home.I also notice I have problems in traffic conditions that are busy and especially in unfamilure areas.I have trouble making change at a store,I hate crowds,sleepless nights,very short threshold of being patient.Anxiety,fatigue,headaches,muscle pain.

To back up a bit,I was unloading a tank truck,hit in the head with an unattached steel ladder,falling in a hole with ice water al found covered with 2-3 inches of snow.Transported to the hospital and then sent home.After a few days returned to work and things went down hill from there.I had memory problems,fatigue,passing out spells that have never been explained.Had my drivers licence taken away for 3 months and reinstated.I also was in and out of the hospital several times.The sinkable episodes are unexplained by the doctors.The neurologist was a complete A-hole and said he could do nothing for me.This is the second one I went to close to my home.The first one was great to deal with but would not treat me because he did not want a problem with the local dr's being that he was 3 hrs away.

I settled the wc case and things were not good but I was told after rehab that YOU ARE WHAT YOU ARE LIVE WITH IT.

after SPENDING SOME TIME "4 TRIPS OVER 2 YEARS" out of the country I returned home suffering more problems.Went to the Neuro- psych guy I have now and got an evaluation.He said I would benefit from some cognitive work and wanted to treat me.The problem was,the insurance co. has baulked up and not wanted to pay.The best thing is THEY HAVE TO PAY as part of the wc settlement they agreed to pay for any treatment going back to the original injury.I am now going to pay for the prescribed treatments out of pocket.Let the esquire do his job and try and get them on the job.I am still in the process of a third party case where the accident happened.The owner of the property has never told his insurance co that a accident happened on his property.This was DEC 2004,and the guy that got hurt is thrown away like the trash.Workers comp,lawyers,and insurance companies in general view us a deviants,trash,discarded junk.And the lawyers are just trying to line there pockets at our expense.

I was hurt,not paid by anyone for over 1 year,went to a hearing and the insurance company was told to pay me.Settled 1 case and then told if I had any more problems they would pay.This was not true because they have jerked be around for 2 years on getting treatments.So now I will pay and go after them and live each and every day they way I am because of the way someone else wanted to do business.

As you can tell I am still almost as sour as I was 4- plus years ago.I wish I was able to work like before,think as before and do everything as before the accident.It has made me sour!

I have started a small business with the aid of my wife and my gps unit.I am on call and work helping my family in there business.Its not a money maker just a way for me to fit into the workplace,society and be a person again.I feel most people after the dust settles want to just be able to be viewed as a complete person again.Be able to function and do anything they can to ha somewhat normal life after a tragic accident...
raymond1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote