View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 05:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Lynnie,

I've had close to 150 units of PT for my shoulder injury in the last 2 and a half years. What's most important from my perspective is that the PT believes in your pain. I spent an awful lot of time with therpists yanking my arm in an attempt to achieve good ROM, while they ignored my tears of pain. It really sucked. I didn't know any better, so I stayed and let them hurt me. Obviously, I will NEVER do that again.

You also want to avoid therapists that suggest icing your limb at the end of the session. Ice is not good for RSD; furthermore, it's a dead giveaway that your therapist has no clue.

My current PT has some experienced with RSD and has likely done some research on the subject- (he's the only good thing I got out of my first RI PM doc). He doesn't touch my affected limb, but has given me stretches to do which increase my ROM, and to a lessor degree, my strength. I do not work with any weights or stretchy thingies. If I do anything too stenuous my pain levels go through the roof, but not until the next day.

good luck, Sandy
SandyRI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote