View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 11:02 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi all,

Stephanie, you asked about oils that are contraindicated in MG and Becky hit it on the head! Lavender has such a relaxing property that even though it is quite a mild and "safe" essential oil it can affect our MG. I find the stimulating oils (mandarin, sweet orange) and woody scents (patchouli and sandalwood) work best with me. Make sure your therapist is aware of your condition and you might consult a qualified aromatherapist first. Annie mentioned that massage might not be a good idea and I agree that in some massage can exacerbate symptoms. Deep tissue/swedish massages might NOT be a good place to start, if you are interested in massage think about hot stones, aromatherapy massage or just say you only want light touch.

I personally LOVE massages and force my wonderful husband to massage my feet daily (he is SOOOO wonderful). i find the massage helps soothe my sore bits and makes me feel more 'in-line' somehow. I also still love my hot bubble baths to help me relax (I know, I know - bad for MG, but i can't help it. Love them). If you do go for a massage make sure you consume loads of water after and have a quiet evening.

I've also tried acupuncture two years ago. The treatment did nothing to improve my symptoms and I actually think it might have made things a bit worse. MG is so different person to person that who knows how anyone is going to react to anything!

Be careful and stay healthy! Please remember, I'm not a doctor - just sharing my opinions and experiences!
All the best,
Kathy
Scots Kat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote