View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 11:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New to Anesthesia Delorosa

Hi Everyone,

I'm writing in hopes that maybe some of you maybe be able to help lead me in the right direction - or tell me if I'm doing something wrong. I now have Anesthesia Delorosa and I don't have a clue what to do, all I can tell from what I'm reading is that this is the worst thing that could have happened.

I started with my first TN symptoms in 2006 and my first mvd surgery at Duke in 8/2007. Everything was fine and my husband I moved to Tampa, FL in 11/08. In early March I started getting little shocks at the trigger point on my chin when it was touched or wind blew on it. In early April I woke up on morning with full on TN symptoms back at full force just as they'd been before the first surgery. I was admitted to St. Joseph's for one day for a CT, MRI and MRA and saw a neurologist for all of about 10 minutes. He basically told me that the teflon sponge and shifted and was going to need mvd surgery again and that they did not have a surgeon at that hospital that could do it. I left there and made an appointment with Dr. Van Loveren the Head of Nuerology at USF Tampa General Hospital and one of the most prominent neurosurgeons in the country. So of course, I had nothing to worry about. I listed to them when they went down the list of side effects and that they might have to sever the nerve and of course.....the very rare chance of anesthesia delorosa. I was fixed the first time and returned to normal life, and I was in great hands, so I didn't pay it any attention.

The anesthesia delorosa started 4 days after surgery and it's constant. Every hour, every minute, every second of every day. When I went in to have my staples removed the surgeons assistant prescribed 400mg of neurontin a day. It's been 3 weeks and that hasn't done a thing. In the past week I started uping the dose as my neurologist has advised me in the past and I'm up to 1,000 mg a day - still nothing. I've tried capcazien topical cream - nothing. Yesterday my husband and I did a mirror therapy that we read about from a member here, still too early to tell on that. I find if I take Ambien when I go to be at night, when I wake up in the morning the pain is a little lower and I make it a little longer into the day until it goes up from a 5 and then to an 8 or 9.

This is all very new to me. I'm trying to read up as much as I can, but I could really use some help. Where do I go next. Back to a neurologist? Is it better to find someone who deals more in pain management? What can I do to just get through the day right now?

Your help would be GREATLY appreciated.
GandBarrie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Burntmarshmallow (05-18-2009)