View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 12:17 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Looking for a corn-free, gluten-free, dairy-free frosting recipe

Did I also mention soy-free? Maybe we should start a thread called "Stump the Chumps" like they have on Car Talk, because I think this might be a stumper !

I think I am close to making up a recipe. I'm finally getting around to making my GF and everything else free cake for my birthday, even though my b-day was a month ago. DH is too overwhelmed by my diet for this task. I made a chocolate cake from a Pamela's mix - excellent! The frosting is now the challenge. I tried making the frosting from the "Enjoy Life" semi-sweet chocolate chip package, but I don't like it. Seems that I need to make my own powdered sugar with a substitute for cornstarch. How do I substitute cornstarch in quantity with arrowroot? This is the recipe I found for making your own powdered sugar. Any suggestions for how to make it corn free, and how to make it a good tasting, fluffy chocolate frosting? To give you an idea how good I'm at baking, I own a copy of "The Idiot's Guide to Baking". Help!

2 cups unbleached cane sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch

Blend in food processor or blender for 1 minute. Scrape down sides & blend an additional 30 seconds.

I'm also thinking of substituting my birch sugar (xylitol not from corn) for the cane sugar. It looks and acts like regular sugar.

Claire
tamiloo (09-15-2011)