View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 11:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Annemarie,
I've never been hospitalized with crisis, but that's been due to ignorance, stuborness, and yes, stupidity on my part. I've been lucky to have been able to handle it myself with Mestinon, my CPAP.

Each time, I felt myself sinking deeper into the weakness. I would end up sitting on the recliner or laying in the bed or couch and would hit a point where I couldn't speak, move, or even blink. All I could do was to lay there amazed that I could be that weak and still be alive. I was told long after my first serious bout with MG that my shallow breathing and extreme weakness were signs I was in crisis. I was just so lucky my breathing didn't completely stop.

I have had some close calls with this bout, but can now recognize the weakness getting bad enough and get to my Mestinon before I get so weak I can't even signal someone to give me a pill. I did have one night this bout where my breathing did stop, but I got to my bi-pap machine and laid with it on my face after taking a Mestinon until I could breath again after taking the mask off. It happened rather suddenly, after I drank just a small shot of alcohol to help me get to sleep (something I never do, but was having so much trouble shutting my brain down due to concern over my husband and his head injury that I thought it might help me relax) and within 5 minutes it was like I just couldn't draw air in or push it out. Very scary!!

Good luck with your appt.