View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default TBIGuide.com

Benjamin,

You need to go to www.TBIGuide.com and print Dr Glen Johnson's guide. Read it then give it to your mom and others to read. It explains what is going on with you. Look in the phone book for a physician under Physical Medicine or Rehabilitation Medicine. Call those listed and find the one that is best with PCS or MTBI (mild traumatic brain injury) Check to see if your state has an Employment Rehabilitation Department. Your concussion lasted just seconds. The early symptoms lasted 15 minutes. The fact that you still have symptoms means you damaged your brain seriously.

Your personality has changed due to your concussion. Read about it in Dr Johnson's guide.

Avoid all alcohol and mind altering drugs. Listen to the Rehab Doctor. You might want to get a referral to a neuro-psychiatrist. There might be a need for some short term meds to help you cope.

Regarding your mom. Don't blame her. Physician's who are paid to care for us dismiss us more often than they take and interest and try to care for us. Your mom just does not have a clue what has happened to you. She also has a history with you. This sometimes predisposes parents to take an attitude of "Grow up, Son"

Find a local brain injury support group and attend a meeting. You will see that you are not alone and others will be very able and willing to help you.

And.... Learn that your life from now on will need to change. You need to do everything possible to avoid a second concussion. Your second concussion will be much worse.

Let us know how you are doing. There is a wealth of experience and compassion on this forum. I am not the compassionate one. I have live with PCS since I was 10 years old. Now, thirteen concussions later, my brain is scrambled.

Relax, give others a break, and take life a little slower.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote