View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 06:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Trig She Never Had a Chance

I scooped up the little black and white dog into my arms and rushed her to my car. This was at the New Hope rest area off I95. Yet another innocent animal tossed out of a car just to get rid of them by a human. A human who is suppose to be the more intelligent species. I could feel every bone in her starving little body and I knew she had distemper and probably parvo but did she complain? No bless her heart. She spent all of her energy trying to wag her tail and enjoy the ride, not knowing it would be her last. She just sat there peacefully, with a weary smile through those matted eyes.

I was almost glad the trip is a long one to the vet because I knew what the outcome would be. I noticed how pretty she was under all the sickness and knew that she would have grown into a beautiful dog and loved her owner with all her might. She was covered in ticks and fleas and she smelled very bad, but that didn't matter as we neared the vet, I still held her close and could feel her heart having to work very hard just to keep beating.

As we sat waiting our turn, she lay in my lap and wagged her tail and looked at everyone who came in and out. She was such a sweet little dog and could have given the world so much, maybe even become a rescue dog and save a human's life someday, but she never had the chance, never had the chance to grow up and have her own family, never had the chance to go on a picnic at the park or chase a rabbit or cuddle up with her owner on a cold night to keep them warm, never had a chance to run through the tall grass on a warm summer evening chasing lightning bugs.

Then it was my turn to go in and the veterinarian took one look at her and shook her head. She gently took her as I walked out the door trying to see through the tears as I have done so many times before trying to save an innocent dog or cat's life that could have been easily prevented in the first place. The drive home was lonely and the little pieces of Hooper’s dog food I had put on the seat were still there because she was too sick to eat.

I am grateful I was around to give her one last ride and I am forever grateful to my veterinarian who has always been there for these innocent, suffering dogs and never charges me a dime. Please get your dogs their shots, it's that simple. If you are going to dump a dog, at least give them their shots before you do so they will have a fighting chance, a chance to be loved, a chance to give back that unconditional love.

Cats nap, only humans put them "to sleep". Sterilize, don't euthanize!!

BJ
BJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (05-18-2009), Burntmarshmallow (05-18-2009), Curious (05-18-2009), Dejibo (05-19-2009), Doody (05-18-2009), faylowell (05-18-2009), GmaSue (05-24-2009), jaded2nite (05-20-2009), karousel (05-18-2009), Lara (05-24-2009), misshayleesmom (05-18-2009), mistiis (06-16-2009), mrsD (05-18-2009), Twinkletoes (05-24-2009)