View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 09:42 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymjunkie View Post
Hi Carrie

I'd just ask that you read what I said carefully - I didn't say that taking meds during pregnancy causes defects - I just said that there was a risk with "most" of the drugs that are "commonly" used to treat CRPS and you have to weigh up whatever that risk is. The risks might be really low and they might not - it depends on the specific drugs and the circumstances of each woman. Some people won't regard any risk at all as worth taking and some people will feel that it is a low risk which is worth taking.

I absolutely didn't say that if a woman takes medication during preganacy that her child would suffer - again all I said was that there was a risk which each woman has to weigh up. I also didn't say that a child would suffer because its mother has CRPS. I said that each woman has to weigh up the lifestyle and quality of life that she has along with the amount of pain and disability she has and decide for hersef whether she feels it is right for her to have children. For some women it will simply not be something that they feel they can manage on top of dealing with their CRPS or they may not feel that they can give a child the lifestyle that they would wish to give that child. Others will feel very differently.

I am happy for you to disagree with me but I just wanted to be completely clear about what I was actually saying.

This makes a lot of sense to me.

Anti-convulsants for instance (like Neurontin, Lyrica, etc. ...), those are wellknown meds for RSD. Well, you cannot take them through pregnancy because they can cause serious birth defects.

I saw this in a Dutch documentary once. It was a woman with a serious form of epilepsy. She tried her hardest not to have to take the medication, but in the last trimester she did. She had to. The baby was born with a disability of the hands.

It is no longer about you, I agree, it's about the health of new life and if that cannot be guaranteed, then why take the risk? Being a disabled mother is challenging, but it's even worse being a disabled mother to a disabled child.
- chondromalacia patellae both knees
- RSD both legs (late diagnosis, almost 3 years into RSD) & spread to arms/hands as of 2008
CRPSbe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (05-18-2009)