View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmo View Post
John;

try changing your oil pressure sending unit. These often go bad in older cars.
if you maintained it, changing the oil and filter every 3000 miles, and you have taken preventive care of it, 150,000 miles is nothing.
VIcky;
Why do men have their heads so far up their butts?? Same reason as many women do, fear of growing old. With parkies their's is impaired judgement/compulsive behavior due to our meds, Mirapex principally.

Annelise;
Glad to hear you are doing ok. Drop me an email!!!

Charlie

I used to get comments from judges on my trilling speed and precisenessl Now that is NOT true!!
I used to go to the Bach festival at Rollins COllege. One year the soloist was a harpsicordist who's harpsicord was hundreds of years old. the music took me to another place!!! Thesound was so sweet!!

Also true was hearing ANdre Watt playing La COmpanella (the bells by Franz Liszt)
IT was a mind-blowing experience
Charlie,

Thank you for the insight into this. I have an appointment with the local Toyota dealer tomorrow to have my car looked at. I figured that 150K miles isn't that bad for my old Celica. What's bad about it is that it's too low for me, but that's beside the point. I can deal with that until the economy gets better.

I've heard radio broadcasts and recordings from the Rollins College Bach Festivals. You were lucky to have seen them live them.

The antique instruments have quite a different sound than the modern ones. The old pianos at the Frederick Collection, for example have distinct timbre differences between the the different sections of the keyboard (registers). This makes the music of Brahms and Schumann totally different on the earlier period instruments than on a modern piano. There are some recordings available of these instruments. Do a search on Google for them. In particular, the performance by Daniel Horn playing Schubert and Mendelssohn is really delicious. He plays the 1828/29 Conrad Graf for these.

I know what you mean abou the trills and precision. I find that I can repeat a measure a gazillion times as I try to play on my worsed days, and each time I play it there's a different mistake somewhere else. This makes practice very difficult and learning new stuff gets to be next to impossible.

My trills and runs are excellent still on my good days, however, but when I'm having a bad time, well I may as well as forget about playing because I get so upset with myself that I want to sell all my instruments! Then a day or too later, and everything is working again, and I wonder why I felt that way.

This year is the Boston Early Music Festival so there have been many pre-season concerts all over the place. At the end of the festival, is the instrument show where the different dealers come to show off their new and antique instruments. I try to attend these because I get to sample different harpsichords, clavichords, and fortepianos. Let's hope these will be good days so I can play without making a fool of myself.

John

Last edited by jcitron; 05-19-2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: A typo. What else is new.
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote