View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 01:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default John Argue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylanka View Post
For anyone coming here for the first time, and needing some answers on self-help, especially with regard to maintaining flexibility John Argue's book 'Parkinson's Disease and the Art of Moving' is a good resource. Based on both western and eastern ideas on body work it takes you through a process of developing skills that will help you keep your independence, and minimise some of the movement difficulties that PD brings. In case you think I am giving this book some good advertising space, I have never had anything to do with John Argue, just recognise a good thing when I see it!

Tai Chi is also pretty good, and one of the forms of exercise that comes recommended for PD'ers. Look for a teacher who is non competitive and will take things at an easy pace........... A good teacher will help you get your stance right early on, and teach you to step out using a heel-toe movement, which helps with falls and poor balance, getting out of hesitation and freezes etc. It's relaxing and good fun, and helps maintain good memory too ....

Lindy
Argue's book and the people he has trained do a wonderful job in helping one relearn. I took 3 quarters of the Hoag (So. CA)class and will go back again when they have room. Bob
Bobcmoc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote