Thread: Tell Me...
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 02:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalenaFaolan View Post
The myths about RSD you know or have experienced. What are some of the most myths/misunderstandings about RSD?

The first one that pops into my mind are on spread, that it doesn't. Sure it doesn't. The other is it will go away in 6 mo, a yr or two. Well, I should be all better then!

What others are out there that my swiss cheese brain is failing to grab onto?

Hugs,

Karen
My twin sister is an RN with a master's from Univ of PA, and is married to a surgeon who was also educated at U of P. - They swear that RSD is always a misdiagnosis of something. In other words, they don't believe in it. And they tell me that a significant percentage of the medical profession doesn't believe in it either.

I have been tested for Lyme 4 times (including the Western blot test), Lupus, and RA. I've have my sed rate tested a number of times. I've had MRI's. I had my latest Lyme test done just last week (My PCP asked me to please wait a while before asking for another one, because my personal insurance co was going to start asking questions).

All evidence continues to point to RSD. Just like the rest of you.

I understand that there are a number of judges in the WC courts that refuse to believe in RSD as a diagnosis. And that medical liability lawsuits in some states can run into the same problem, unless they are heard in front of a jury.

So my answer is that there appears to be a huge "MYTH" regarding the "existence" of the syndrome, even among well educated medical professionals.

Sandy
SandyRI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (05-21-2009), Dew58 (05-21-2009), GalenaFaolan (05-21-2009), LinJane (05-21-2009), SBOWLING (05-23-2009)