Thread: Headaches
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 10:10 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Can you folks get to a good headache clinic? If not, a Neurologist that specializes.

I suffered with migraine and headache almost all my life, and of course these injuries just put them over the top.
Get a book on the subject.
Read up on "HA Triggers", foods, drinks, lights, tension, soon, you'll learn your own triggers.
(For me, nitrates in hot dogs and cheeses, aged cheese, meats, red wines, any wine, beer, and even some "scents" can set you off). A good HA book is priceless! Check the library or Amazon.

Prevention is the best!

On that order, some meds are used to prevent migraine.
Usually the anti epileptic or seizure meds. Topomax, Zonegran, like that. Your doctor has to help you.

The migraine meds, are trial and error too, Imetrex being the "big boy", but, if you're nauseated, the med is going nowhere, so they now have different delivery systems.
Melt on tongue, nasal spray, injections. It does no good sitting in your stomach, or worse, vomited out.

Ice packs are great, you can buy ones that stay flexible, keep them in the freezer, a good medical supply will have them, so does Amazon.

A "killer" HA event will pull so many muscles tight in your body, that it becomes a major "RSD ATTACK". Your pain will flare everywhere, places you didn't know you have. Migraine is different than an "occipital" HA, and I find methadone does no good for Migraine. (Occipital yea). Occipital refers to the occiputal muscles in the neck, and are sometimes called tension headaches, because those muscles, "tense." There are quite a few different kind of headaches, classic migraine is nausea, sensitivity to light and smell,
and a throbbing pain, sometimes on one side of the head. There are "Vascular" HA, also. This is where a good HA clinic or neurologists comes in.
Identifying the type, first.

I have, (and you may too) have more than one type, but for me, the others "trigger" the Migraine or Cluster. I think the migraine or cluster is the worst.
They can last for weeks, or longer.

Talk to your doctor!

I hope this helps somewhat...
I feel your pain, every week!

Pete
Asb
AintSoBad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (05-22-2009), loretta (05-24-2009), SandyRI (05-22-2009)