View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 02:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey All. I was diagnosed August of last year with Myasthenia Gravis after going to 2 emergency rooms, 2 general practitioners, and eye doctor, and 2 Neurologist. I had droopy eyes,shortness of breath, could not swallow(Did not eat solid food for 45 days) and severe weakness/fatigue. I am a diabetic, so my Neuro has me on Mestinon and Cellcept. Progress has been very slow. In November I was climbing steps.fell backward and was knocked unconcious and airlifted to an Intensive care trauma unit. I have not been able to work since Nov. as I cannot climb stairs, still slur speac, and has a great deal of fatigue after writing/typing/walking for 10-15 minutes. I have found no support groups in East Tennessee and have not found any other males in this area with the disease. I am 58 years old and have applied to Social Security for disability benefits and have been denied once.(They keep sending me PAIN questionaires to fill out and I can't seem to get them to understand the disease, I was turned down the first time and have now appealed. When reading about the disease, I really thought I would be doing much better by now, but inability to work, being months behind on bills, etc. am under so much pressure I feel like a failure to my family and don't understand or know what to do. Found this site referenced by a support group I found on Facebook.
Pippi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote