View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 04:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Hi Pippi!

Hello and welcome to Neurotalk! You are gonna love it here! There are so many amazing, wonderful, supportive people here with tons of info!

MG is a RARE disease - that's prolly why you haven't found that many people with it where you live - lucky us, huh?

But the GOOD thing is that you have been dx'ed - now we just need to get you WELL! You are not letting your family down - you are SICK! YOU need help, not scorn. Sadly, few people know anything about MG and how it effects us - feel great one minute and down on our backs the next.

Take a deep breath and make sure your neuro knows that you are still weak----there are lots of options for us now! IV IG, plasma exchange, pred, imuran, etc......You just don't want to over do it and pay the price! I speak from experience on this one!

Stress makes MG worse - sad but true. You need to stop beating yourself up and start taking care of yourself! It sounds like you need a support group - well you've got one now! We are all here for YOU! If you need to vent, vent away!

I'd love to hear from you when you have the time/energy!

Erin

I was given Paxil by my neuro - he said a lot of people with MG suffer from bouts of depression as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippi View Post
Hey All. I was diagnosed August of last year with Myasthenia Gravis after going to 2 emergency rooms, 2 general practitioners, and eye doctor, and 2 Neurologist. I had droopy eyes,shortness of breath, could not swallow(Did not eat solid food for 45 days) and severe weakness/fatigue. I am a diabetic, so my Neuro has me on Mestinon and Cellcept. Progress has been very slow. In November I was climbing steps.fell backward and was knocked unconcious and airlifted to an Intensive care trauma unit. I have not been able to work since Nov. as I cannot climb stairs, still slur speac, and has a great deal of fatigue after writing/typing/walking for 10-15 minutes. I have found no support groups in East Tennessee and have not found any other males in this area with the disease. I am 58 years old and have applied to Social Security for disability benefits and have been denied once.(They keep sending me PAIN questionaires to fill out and I can't seem to get them to understand the disease, I was turned down the first time and have now appealed. When reading about the disease, I really thought I would be doing much better by now, but inability to work, being months behind on bills, etc. am under so much pressure I feel like a failure to my family and don't understand or know what to do. Found this site referenced by a support group I found on Facebook.