View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 10:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default There is hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakitty View Post
Hello
Would someone please explain ACDF, I see it used rather frequently, and I haven't been able to figure it out. I had a second cervical surgery (cage front & rear) 2 1/2 years ago levels-C 4,5,6,7 & T1. I'm really down tonight and I just am reaching out. I hurt so much, and I hate to talk about it with anyone. Online friends may be my answer. I may pick up a coping mechanism or be able to give some....Thanks, Blakitty
Am in the recovery stages of ACDF of about 5 weeks ago...and if all of a sudden the pain I had in my arm came back tomorrow, it would have been worth everything I went through. Have been dealing with this issue for couple of years, including physical therapy on a couple of occasions, as well as eating narcotics hoping to numb the spinal cord to reduce the pain...

After seeing my MRI there was no doubt that surgery was in order for me...arm was useless. From the moment I woke up after surgery I've not had as much as an aspirin to address any arm issues. There is some stiffness in the spine as a result of the hammering of the bone graft into the vacated space, and I'm sure because of the shock and trauma that such an invasive procedure produces. I have to deal with that pain a bit but it's nothing like I had.

I suffer from arthritis throughout my spine, bone spurs outside and inside the spinal canal, and spondylosis...and receive Percutaneous Radio Frequency someotherwordgoesherethatidon'tremember to address the pain in the rest of the spine, but the Facet Blocks I've been having for my neck eventually quit working so that's why I had to turn toward surgery.

But to more directly address your issue, the pain I was suffering was the most intense I've ever had (except the pain at the sternum after heart surgery and an inability to suppress a sneeze) but the arm pain was the most prolonged and consistent. ACDF was the cure, the magic bullet if you will, that I think has prolonged at least my career, if not my life. I read all of the negative results post-surgery on here and I can't believe that I'm the only person who has had such good results...incredible as a matter of fact.

Mine was a typical ACDF...the removal of the disc, bone graft inserted (hammered into place...see above) with the metal plate screwed into place to hold the vertabrae together and keep the bone in the disc space. And of course, my results have been incredible. I can only hope to have as much success the next time anything like this happens. My pre-operative research allowed me to forgo any surprises, and even a visit to YouTube was helpful as I watched the procedure performed.

I do hope you can find relief and if my results are any real indication, ACDF could be the route you need to take. Please do take care of yourself, and don't hesitate to speak to someone about it...you never know who's talked with someone who's talked with someone else who knows a doctor in the next town whose specialty is exactly what you need. And sometimes, you just need someone to listen.
JackBeNimble is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote