View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 12:53 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I can identify for sure. i was older than you when I had surgery, but I had very severe depression after too. I think it is a part of the big adjusment after surgery like we had. I had a right anterior temporal lobectomy with amygdalo-hippocampectomy 10 yrs ago now. I did it alone. I had no one there with me. I can really identify with the aloneness that you feel and how others may not understand how you may feel. I feel the same, and it is hard not having those who can understand. I think some of the depression we feel after surgery is due to the change in meds, possible reduction, we are used to and also to a grief process due to the big chsnge in our lives and also in identity that surgery causes. It is a good change, but it is a loss of the way things were. I took an antidepressant for a while after surgery. Zoloft is what i took. Your parents will have to adjust as well, so I can see how things will be tough for them too. Any chroinc illness affects the entire family and when one gets better or makes a big change , it also makes all others have to adjust too. YOu also may be learning to live by yourself for the first time i don't know. I was by myself since I left home at 18 and still am alone. I think it wold be hard to have a close relationship with someone but you are younger and have a chance to learn how to do that. I fear it is too late for me. I have abandonment issues from childhood and many with chronic illness has this issue. I am in graduiate school and had a bad preceptor this past semester which made it hard for me in school. I am very afraid if what this did to my chances for success at this school and am looking to a possible transfer i feel like my future is over now! I wanted to reach potential after my surgery vey badly, but it is now all not at all secure. That brings back all my abandonment issues too. I am alone in dealing with this which makes it harder. I have three siblings who do not keep in touch with me.
So, no one calls and seldom emails. i am truly alone. No kids nor husband.I do know what you mean so you aren't really alone. No one can offer their experience with that either so it leaves me very alone in that as well. I did join AlAnon since my mother was alcoholic which gave me a place to belong. that helped immensely! I also found oher things I really wanted to do and got involved in those things too. That gave me other groups of people I had something in common with. Look for those things. Surgery was the right thing for me to do and i am very hapy I did it! I had to learn how to live this new life which is hard to do and does require a huge adjustment! I am learning how to walk this new walk, and it is lonely as you know. It is also exciting *** well. I hope this helps, and I am glad to meet another. Your post helped me too. I was thinking about this all day. Thank you Tattoo
Tattoo2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote