View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 11:52 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Wink Recovering from rib resection

I see that your post here is a few months old, but thought I'd comment anyway about your concerns of recovery from rib resection surgery - just in case you're still battling with the idea. I was REALLY nervous about this too while facing surgery with a small business, side job, five kids, and a household to run. I actually planned for a few months of recovery, flew my mother down from Washington to help out, and basically "signed out" of life for a few months.

My surgery was on May 1st. First week was hell and jam-packed with pain medication. Second week was 100% better but still recovering and having a lot of pain. Third week I started feeling human again and even wanted to drive, type, and work a little. Now I'm trying to hold myself down to not overdo it, but I can't believe how quickly I'm recovering. Hoping the nagging (but relatively minor) pains, etc. won't last forever, but overall I'm very pleased. The venous and arterial blood flow is restored, so my surgery was a success as far as I'm concerned.

I know that every person's situation, diagnosis, prognosis, and recovery process is completely different, but hopefully my input will help you out. Good luck with whatever you decide. Hang in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbn4jsus View Post
Hello,
Reading several posts on this forum has been helpful and concerning. I am a 40 yo generally healthy woman with bilateral cervical ribs. Symptoms in my neck began 20 years ago, chronically 5 years ago after a car accident.

I've done everything in the book to manage the discomfort. Both my kids have c-ribs too. They've each had one rib recestion due to arm pain with excellent results. My main symptom is neck muscles locking up randomly-spasms, upper back, some slight arm discomfort. TOS study showed vascular impingement. I consulted surgeon who did my kids' resections last week-he thinks he can help me. i am unsure. I am not a teenager to heal as quick as they did, and my symptoms are not the same as theirs. Doc thinks he ccan help-after reading here today...yikes.
I'll be checking back for any new updates. glad to know I'm not the only one

*I'll copy this to the main TOS forum also*Jo

Last edited by o2bponca; 05-23-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling error