View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 08:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Angry Other Medications

This past week I was hospitalized because I had convulsions, chest pain, and a major panic attack. My heart was okay. I came out of the convulsions, but had depression, anxiety and confusion. I was kept overnite at the hospital. The next day I was asked all kinds of questions about my mental state. I am a socialworker, I know what they were getting at. No one asked me about my seizures or wanted to know. As far as they were concerned, I should see a psychiatrist - (even my own doctor).

The previous week I had hurt my hip and groin area. I couldn't stand on my leg, sit or sleep for the pain. The PA at my doctor's office, noting I was allergic to codeine, found a drug that didn't mention codeine as being an ingredient and prescribed it for pain. I didn't read the prescribing information and took it. I trusted him. Well, guess what? He gave me Ultracet and it specifically states not to give to people with seizures or epilepsy or to people who are allergic to codeine. I can't believe it!!!! I am so fed up with this. You have to watch everything nowadays and be your own doctor to protect yourself. Now I'm considered mentally ill. I have written my doctor a fax pointing the error out to him and asking him to make a note of it in my medical records and my history. I never knew people with epilepsy had all these issues to deal with. It is a terrible thing when even professionals don't take the time to make sure we are cared for properly and everything is done to ensure our safety. I'm very angry, hurt and disappointed. I definitely will see an epileptologist. It must be so frustrating and horrifying to have children with this condition and to have to fight every minute and watch every medication to ensure your child is going to be safe.
I guess I am venting - it helps. Thank you so much for your support and just knowing I'm not alone in this thing. I have started on the Vitamin B12 as a sublinqual - thank you. I can't do the ketogenic diet - high bloodpressure and high cholestrol - wish I could. Luna Marie
Luna Marie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote