View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 08:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Missy

First of all, you are doing a great job. Issues with short term memory are common for some time after surgery. Trouble with word-finding is common as well. If she likes that sort of thing, crosswords an word find puzzles are very useful. I can remember saying all sorts of dumb things in the first couple of months after my clipping surgery (like telling my kids to put their school bags in the fridge instead of in their bedrooms).

As has already been mentioned, it could take anywhere up to two years for her brain to heal fully - it's a long slow process, and if they have cut nerves they are incredibly slow re-growing. She will probably go through all sorts of strange things (like have a numb skull, feeling itchy particularly around her incision and not being able to scratch, getting crawly sensations on her head and other stuff like that).

It is easy to become overwhelmed with noise, lights and lots of movement too. So when she is better able to get around, don't be surprised if simple things like going to the supermarket become kind of scary and exhausting. Sensory overload is a really strange thing. You may also find that she is very emotional, and that she has some hair loss - but it should come back to normal over time.

Please take care, keep doing a great job and be patient - when someone has mucked around inside your brain there are lots of strange emotions and symptoms that happen.

Cheers

Lyn
Lynn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote