View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 11:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

As I tried to post earlier to this topic... it seemed the boards went down and I got a bit frustrated but I saved the link I found that seemed interesting...
http://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/pas.html
I find this topic interesting too. I thought about it this morning when I had trouble sleeping and wondered if there is a clear-cut opinion on the matter. In my opinion, it depends on the situation. However, the site lists pros and cons of arguments. I studied assisted suicide and euthanasia during a Religion class I took during the Terri Schavo case. We discussed it in class and it seems like the arguments we discussed are the exact same as the website. And a little "FYI" most people don't know, Oregon is the only state in the US that DOES allow legalized Physician-assisted suicide (PAS). I remember there being very specific criteria/factors involved that must be met or else it can't be done (such as being cognitively capable).

This topic touches me close to home because I often wondered what my mother thought of this during her long battle with cancer. I wondered if she had thought of it or even discussed it with my father, her sister, or best friend. I know she was on heavy doses of serious pain killers but... I wonder now whether she dabbled with the idea, and would I approve. I know that I would definitely not approve if it happened then instead of the way it did, but now looking back 8 years later and much older, I think that I may slightly think it better for her not having suffered and me to have all those memories of her screaming in agony. But then again... it depends. She wanted to be there for us, and that was important too. So I dont think there is a clear way to solve terminal illness. I think that it should be definitely clear though, before it is done- if that is even possible.

Last edited by hsiw; 12-20-2006 at 07:22 PM.
hsiw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GmaSue (07-03-2009), Nik-key (03-03-2009), pono (03-05-2009)