View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 11:31 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hey Allen,

We've talked a little about your RSD on the phone; you began with a classic ischemia-reperfusion injury (IRI) in which the ischemia went on for days, not just hours. The fact that RSD developed is powerful evidence that this really is an IRI.

As you know, I have written extensively about how an IRI would produce the symptoms of RSD and your case is more confirmation of that.

This means that IRI does what I said it does. You are proof of that. This means we have an explanation for the cause of RSD that doesn't require that nerves do things they just can't do.

Your doctor talked about going back into the history to the Civil War; run this past him.

During the Civil War (when RSD was discovered) and during World War I (when LeRiche -- incorrectly -- linked this disease to damage to sympathetic nerves), RSD must have occured fairly frequently if doctors like Mitchell and LeRiche focused on it.

Before RSD I read numerous books and articles about the Civil War, but it was a long time after I began researching this disease before I realized one startling fact:

The most common battlefield first aid during those two wars was the tourniquet; which creates ischemia by blocking arterial blood flow to the wounded limb.

Combat medics, and Corpsmen, were not extensively deployed until World War II; before that, a soldiers greatest fear was that he would be wounded and bleed to death on the field before anyone found him and carried him to help.

Nearly every book I've read on Civil War combat contained heart-searing descriptions of the screams and moans of the wounded, fading through the night as many soldiers lost their fight for life. The survivors heard these cries, and they carried tourniquets to improve their chance for survival if/when they were wounded.

It makes more sense to assume that these tourniquets caused their RSD than to assume that nerve damage no one can find is the cause.

More later.

moonstar, I'm human and my spirits are lifted by encouraging words, thank you.

Mike, still working on that reply. I can't tell you how much I appreciate replies that disagree with me; they force me to reread things, think and focus.

Everyone else, questions are great too; I know my explanations can't answer every question, but I can't answer questions that no one asks...Vic

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :
Vicc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote