View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 05:52 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Worried about my dachshund

Two years ago my dachshund had to have back surgery. I took her to the vet right away, he didn't see what I saw, there was a delay getting her on meds...things got much worse...she ended up having surgery and did much better.

HOWEVER, last night, I saw those very early symptoms again.

I took her to the emergency vet. She was given steriods and antibiotics (due to a fever). This morning, she looked terrible. Her tail is between her legs. She moans when she sleeps. She is lethargic. She is favoring one leg.

I gave her the prednsione tablet the doc prescribed. I also went to the holistic vet store and bought Nupro vitamins and liquid glucosimine and mixed in a little drop of CoQ10. I spoke with another emergency vet and he said it was okay to give her a tiny amount of Pepcid.

To my delight, it's been several hours and her eyes look bright. She is standing up in her crate...I think these are all good signs.

Tomorrow is a holiday...probably not much will happen. I will either bring her to the surgeon or a holistic doctor ( a new one that just moved into the area...people love him).

Not sure exactly what my next move should be. I DO know that she needs more prednisone and GOOD THOUGHTS and PRAYERS.

This could not have come at a WORSE time..one of my kids is getting married in two weeks.

Doing research...came across this site re: vitamins...looks great...

Anyone take their pet to a holistic doc?
Would they object to prednisone usage?
Can I go to the hollistic vet and the regular vet at the same time?

Thank you.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (05-26-2009)