View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 06:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default High Surgical Risk?

I am looking at a possible hysterectomy next month. When I contracted Viral Sensory Peripheral Neuropathy 20 years ago my throat was damaged also...as a consequence I cannot be intubated. My gyn Dr. states that this makes me high risk and even though it's been determined that a hysterectomy would be the best thing for me.....they will start with a D&C and if on the table I start bleeding heavily they will immediately proceed to a hysterectomy......so.....I'm having a lot of anxiety right now. I have a fibroid tumor that continues to grow, and at 61 I find myself bleeding reguarly, somedays light, other days very heavy.

My sister, a Nursing Supervisor at MG, Boston, is not happy with this plan and has told me that I should insist on seeing the anesthesiologist prior to the surgery, and not 2 hours before as presently planned. I'm also thinking I should see a neurologist as it's been a couple of years since my last neurological appt.

I have stenosis of the spine and cannot walk or stand for long without pain. I recently had a cortisone shot via an epidural and then started PT. Unfortunately the PT aggravated the tumor and I've had to put it all on hold until I have the tumor removed. In the interim the cortisone has worn off, and I'm in pain again.

All that said......it could be worse . Any suggestions out there as to how I should proceed with the planned D&C/maybe hysterectoy? And is failure to intubate along rank one as high risk?

Thank you for any advise or sharing similar experiences?
*Abigail is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote