View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 02:15 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Dear Befuddled ....

I want you to know that I, too, have been where you are. And it is true that there are still so many people, even (unfortunately) mental health professionals that do not understand and cannot identify emotional battering which is just as much abuse as the physical stuff. Actually, I think it is far more damaging.

And do know that it is COMMON -much more common than you might imagine- for Vicims to eventually, when there is no understanding, no help, seemingly no way out, to start to become, to model your behaviors, on the abuser. It is how kids are who grow up being beaten -- they too often learn to beat.

Psychological/mental abuse can cause PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) like battelefield soldiers and prisoners of war get. It actually causes a lot of changes in your personality, a different way of reacting to the world.

But you used to be different. You have not always been this way. You have memories of the old you... and while you will never be the identical person again, you can recover. Take full advantage of all the therapy and ADs you can, and do exactly what you are doing in regards to planning for Christmas, reaching out to others.

I have great hopes for you -- you are a smart and insightful woman.

Teri