View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Where people are with their symptoms

Is a big factor. Rose, 3 months after my diagnosis, I had 3 boys in tow who have lived into their thirties never knowing what their mother was like without PD.

Paula, congratulations on setting your priortities where you felt you were personnaly called to help. You and Jackie Hunt Christianson are so much alike.

I have always placed my children above all, including PD, and have no regrets. My oldest is a truck driver, over the road, nationally. He had a tough time growing up as he had brain dysfunction. In his toddler years, I was told he had auditory processing problems, now as an adult, he has been rediagnosed as having asbergers syndrome. He was my difficult child, now he is my most dependable.

Fred, my middle child, has the most calm and pleasant disposition. I remember picking him up from daycare, when his Dad was out of town. He was at the bottom the the split entry doorway when I arrived with an exceeding angry look on his face. I went up the stairs and the daycare provider gave me a song and dance about how unacceptable his behaivor had been that day. I went downstairs, got on my knees, threw my arms around him and asked him it he was having a bad day. He started crying and I tenderly led him to the car. I have never seen a scowl on his face since.

My youngest was lucky to survive to adulthood. He was a teaser, a pain in the tush, did everything you told him not to do, never left his brothers alone, etc. Today he is a college professor, writes textbooks, and is the father of my only two grandchildren, with a grandaughter due in September.

I worked for the first five years of my illness, full time librarian for a law firm, then as a temp, then bussing tables, then Target, finally for a vet cleaning animal cages.

I have been through the pain of loosing my licience to drive, a failed marriage, and several neurologists. I seem to be going into a downward spin now. My second husband of 20 years has told me I am killing him. I am compulsive, obsessive, fall constantly, but still get up and keep on ticking.

I am in a position of making a spiritual choice of finding a eldercare facility to live separate from my husband. I still exercise, try to eat a moderately balanced meal and still play music. I love my adult bible study class.

In the years I have had PD, I have learned to accept and do what I can and not waste time wondering what could have been. My life is full and I have done my part in adding to the population. My life has been about as average as any healthy person's life which is fine by me.

Boring you? Probably. But boring isn't so bad. Espiecially when you are waiting in the lobby of the Gillette childrens hospital for your doctor appointment and watch the steady stream of older parents wheeling their children in and out to their appointments. Now their would be some interesting stories!!!
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (05-26-2009), Curious (05-26-2009), DocJohn (05-26-2009), Fiona (05-28-2009), paula_w (05-26-2009)