View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 07:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default You are NOT alone, lindy!

There is nothing I would like better than to see a research-backed approach to improving quality of life in Parkinson's, and not just aim at improving "quantity" of on time. The fact is, however, that once you have been on the medicaton regime as long as (for example) Paula and I have, there aren't a lot of options. I know you didn't mean to suggest stopping medications, because stopping the meds could literally KILL us, or maybe even worsen the disease to an irreversible state.

There are places and studies that are taking this alternative "team" approach to treatingn PD. Indigogo can share with us about such a place in her neck of the woods, the Northwest Parrkinson's Foundation in Seattle. Bill Bell, the CEO, keeps in close contact with patient needs. And they also have a clinic where you receive a thorough evaluation and have a program designed especially for you. below is some information; for more, visit the website www.nwpf.org

The Northwest Parkinson's Foundation is a nonprofit organization established to improve quality of life for the Northwest Parkinson's disease community. We achieve our mission through programs of awareness, education, advocacy and care.

In addition to producing educational resources, providing support to patients and caregivers, and advocating on behalf of Parkinson's families in our region and beyond, we are a partner in the Kirkland, Washington-based Booth Gardner Parkinson's Care Center, which we co-founded with Evergreen Healthcare in 2000. This facility, a regional center of excellence in the treatment of Parkinson's disease, houses Parkinson's-specializing physicians, neuropsychologists, physical and occupational therapists, speech and swallowing therapists, counselors and educators.

To be involved in our effort to bring quality of life to the Northwest Parkinson's community, please email us or give us a call at 1.877.980.7500.

I believe more facilities such as this would be greatly helpful.
Peg
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
gardengrl (05-28-2009)