View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 06:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

How did your fish survive the winter ? I live in the northeast and it gets very cold and snowy here. My pond is about 18 feet long 4 feet deep and 6 feet across although it curves around, it is not a rectangle.

For Algae control I use a combination of algae reducing plants and a ultraviolet lamp that the water flows through. The UV light kills most algae . and the plants are most welcome by the Koi as they eat them.

I run my pumps and waterfall until it freezes over, I then drain down the hose, unplug the pump and go into the house until spring

The pond freezes solid, but come spring, it melts, I clean out the leaves and debrie, and the fishicles defrost and start swimming like nothing happened. Funny I know last winter, the pond was a solid ice cube, we had a very deep freeze and yet this spring the fish are all accounted for

My biggest problems are leaves in the fall and blue Heron in the spring and early summer, One heron can clean out a pool in a few hours.. I think I need to go deeper, I built a ledge for the plants and I think the heron stands on it and has a good shot at the fish.

A few years ago we had a raccoon, that decided our fish were a free meal, so I left the dogs out for a couple of nights.

The UV light is really great for reducing the algae, you should add it to your pond, you dont need a big one and they are fairly cheap on ebay. 50-90 bucks.

Enjoy your pond !
doc538 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote