Thread: Dog washing
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 04:51 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by braingonebad
My groomer used Dawn on a lot of the dogs - got the stink off and rinsed out quick. Never hurt my dog, and she had sensitive skin. I'm using some expensive ($12? I think) stuff for sensitive dogs with a conditioner, but it does not rinse out fast. Conditioner... that takes forever to get out. But Millie is so dry.

Just check at Petco or wherever. You'll see one that looks good.

Anyhoo, Rudy used to freak in the tub too. And this will sound mean but I love him like a baby and would never be mean, you know? I just want him to be good. He's unhappy if he's misbehaving. So I put his choke chain and leash on in the tub and just tell him NO!! when he even thinks about jumping or whining.

He was abandonned and abused, and yet he trusted me, or tried to, right away. It's been a long 3 years, building that trust, really. But he is a great dog.

It's the hardest thing in the world NOT to pity him, to say NO to him. But it is the right thing.

He needs someone to be in charge, because then he feels safe. When I have a hold of his leash, he feels safe and he knows he cannot drown, I will tell him how to be good - then he can make me happy. And that is all Rudy wants in this world, to be safe and make me happy.

See? It's not mean, it's kind.

And after the bath, there are dog bones and he knows it. And it's all good.

Sounds like that dog trusts you more than anyone, so you're doing something right. You must have a way with dogs.

Now Mildred, she'll come and ask for a bath. She loves it. She'll downright demand a bath. Never saw anything like that!

And my bird bathes himself, which is better yet.
Hmmm... I never thought of using the leash in the tub, as I usually take off her collar to bathe her... But I always hold her while I bathe her... or at least one part of her (usually I have one hand or arm under her front...this usually can prevent jumping out of the tub and tells her she is with me, and it is ok... she also needs a lot of soothing talk- and the occasional "no" and "wait" command, and when she is done she always gets some fresh meat -usually chicken or beef- as a special reward) She is a medium size dog, so it is hard to hold her completely- she is an Australian Cattle Dog- so I usually sit on the side of the tub with my feet in there with her.-she likes to lean against them.

Macophile is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote