View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Well, I wrote a big long response the other day... and then timed out and lost it. I didn't have the energy to rewrite it then, but today is a new day!

In any case...I'm so happy to hear of another B12 success story!!!!

Quote:
question :Is this improvement possible so quickly and without the super mega doses of sub b12 (i.e. 10,000+/day)??
Yes! My B12 level was not as low as yours, but I had many of the same symptoms....started out as nuisance type symptoms, but were beginning to cross over to serious and frightful symptoms.
http://jccglutenfree.googlepages.com...ciencysymptoms

I brought my level up nicely on 1000mcg cyanocobalamin daily, with many of my symptoms improving within three weeks. I was low normal of 294 at dx, 650 after two months, and up near 1000 at six months. I switched to methylcobalamin as soon as I learned of it, sometime later in the first year. I take 1000-2000mcg daily ever since.

I did notice that early on when I took 2000mcg some of my symptoms (mostly the buzzing and twitching) would pick up... but later learned this can be a sign of nerves healing. Whether demylenating or regenerating it can cause some of the same symptoms. So... I actually looked forward to those sensations.

Some of my symptoms improved within as little as three weeks, many of my symptoms were completely gone by six months, and some of my symptoms continued to improve past the one and two year marks... even longer when it comes to the cognitive problems. My twitching and buzzing continued past the year mark, but had so greatly diminished by the six month mark that it wasn't that bothersome. I haven't felt a hint of that in many years now.

It has been nine years for me, and still if someone massages along my spine... I get weird sensations.. but this finally is almost imperceptible. What symptoms are left... my memory, word finding/recall, concentration are not 100% of where I was previously. But, I've improved enough so that it doesn't get in my way too often anymore. My vision still sucks. I was always very nearsighted to begin with, and had my fair share of floaters... but when I was B12 deficient I had a huge increase in floaters, not just squigglys but blurry blob spots, too. I had dimness of vision, and a gray spot at 7 o'clock. Also had numbness, stabbing pain, dryness and grittiness. In any case, the numbness, pain, dryness and grittiness all resolved by the 6 month mark... but I still live with tons of floaters that make it a nuisance to even read.

As for fatigue, I didn't notice fatigue as a major symptom until after I began supplementing with B12. Of course, having been hypothroid for many years, I feel like I've always had more fatigue than the average joe. But, when I began supplementing w/ b12... it was "hit by a truck" fatigue for several months. I spent a lot of time sleeping and was very tired all the time. Rose, who taught me all I know about B12, said this is not uncommon because it is a lot of hard work for the body to repair. There was a supplement she recommended at the time that might help with that early fatigue, but I can't remember what! Sorry.

I had been very weak when B12 deficient. It was to the point that I couldn't lift a pan filled with water, or hold the hairdryer up to dry my hair. My strength gradually increased over time... and it still amazes me that I am stronger at age 50 than I ever was at 30-40. I can even shovel snow now. I did at some point hit the gym and do some weight training, but that wasn't until much later. I probably should have done it sooner... but not too soon! Listen to your body .

Quote:
brain damage is probably not repairable: brain atrophy
My sister read this book... The Brain that Changes Itself ...that suggests brain damage is repairable, or at least retrainable.
http://www.amazon.com/Brain-That-Cha...ref=pd_sim_b_1

If you check out the other books that come up with it, you will find several others on the same subject. In any case, the idea is that brain cells can regenerate, and you can also retrain/compensate within other areas of the brain.

I haven't read the book, but hearing her talk about it inspired me to start working on my brain. Brain exercise. I wish I wouldn't have waited nine years to start! I'm just doing little silly things.. like I bought myself a Nintendo DS and play Brain Age, and other math and vocabulary games. Playing the Brain Age games made a big difference in quicker thinking. If I had to pick my worst cognitive symptoms that remian, I would say they are recall and sluggish thinking... and playing the games seems to help. My memory has improved... at worst I couldn't remember three items on a list between home and the grocery store. I'd get there and stand dumbfounded, not being able to remember a single item of three. Recently, I forgot my list for a major trip, and managed to remember something like 47 out of 48 items. I remember celebrating the first time I could add two double digit numbers in my head again... still a challenge.. but I could do it.

I sometimes do my daughter's algebra homework with her~ we work the same problems at the same time, just to use my brain. And, I'm trying to force myself to read more (despite my bad floaters). Word games, crossword puzzles, memory games... anything you can do to challenge your brain is not going to hurt you... and may help you regain.

And there are other nutrients important to brain health, but it looks like you have that covered.

In any case, I feel your joy! I remember the relief that came with improving. Time will tell how complete your recovery will be, but know that even though they say most improvement comes within the six or twelve month time frame... and it did for me... I continued to improve for many years more.

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 05-27-2009 at 03:39 PM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (05-27-2009), pearl girl (05-29-2009)