Thread: BUZZING shunt.
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 06:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi hharriet

I have heard of quite a few people i have spoke to now, all experiencing buzzing shunt valves, but they all seem to be programmable valves.
Mine is not however. Mine is a fixed high pressure valve.

What is yours??

I hate it when neurosurgeons bum things off as 'not the shunt' it seems to be their answer to everything when something is going wrong.
It is for sure the shunt valve, as when i put my fingertips to the valve the buzzing becomes more prominent.
I am able to stand in a quiet room, look up to the ceiling (within minutes of standing up from lying down)...have my parents stand beside me with their ears by a cupped hand by my valve and for them to actually hear it themselves.
If it were inside my ears buzzing, then they wouldnt be able to hear it!

Has you NS ever tried listening to it through a stethoscope?
As im sure it would be VERY clear if they tried to, of course whilst its buzzing.

Mine also buzzes more prominently when i take a very deep breathe it and hold for a few seconds.

I have an appointment with my NS on monday, he is unaware of any buzzing so far as i didnt want to be told over the phone that its not my shunt when i may be able to have the opportunity for him to hear it himself when i see him.

I hope you are well and thank you for replying to my post =)
jadiee-x is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote