View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 07:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
I broke my ankle almost 2 months ago at work. Theres bone fractures and probable tendon damage. I've been screwed around the system, but finally cleared for medical coverage. I've been changed over to an occupational health doctor with a nurse case manager at my appointments. I've had two previous doctors say I have rsd in my foot. My current doctor has me on lyrica which seems to help sometime(with horrible side effects) but the past 2 days the burning has came back with a vengence. My doctor only has me on the lyrica and alleve right now, but its not cutting it. I've gone from on a good night getting maybe 4-6 hours sleep, to being in too much pain to get comfortable enough to try to sleep. Just living on the occasional nap in a chair. My doctor is saying thats about all he can do-that any pain killers won't help. I was previously on medium doses of vicodone and they did at least help. How can I get some relief without coming across like I'm just trying to get drugs. I don't want to say anything in front of the nurse case manager that could be taken out of context making me look like I'm just looking for drugs for fun. Anyone with any ideas? I'm in a confused lyrica haze and don't know what to do. Feeling like fireants are biting my foot!
Hi Geronimo and Welcome to Neurotalk!
I'm so sorry you have had this accident and unexcusable conduct from WC and doctors. There are many on this site that were injured at work and can provide detailed support or direction on how to go about getting help the quickest. Getting appropriate treatment as soon as possible is imperative for RSD. The fireants biting your foot really is nerve pain. This is a neurological disorder with NO CURE, there can be remission if given treatment EARLY. RSD CAN and DOES spread in the body to a large percentage both exterior like feet to hands, face, spine and even interior organs.
I personally won'd delay and tip toe around WC that have only their interest at heart. Don't be intimidated by their comments of a pill seeker. Keeping the pain under control is extremely important. Pain out of control can and does cause pain flares, spread.There are many drugs for pain control. I personally take vicodin 6 pills a day. I was on Lyrica for a while that was effecting for the burning pain. Neurotin before thaqt 3200 mg. They both are anti-seizure meds that work on burning pain. They to cause weight gain with some people (myself included) and can be foggy in the head. Anti-depressants help with nerve pain, plus depression. This disorder is a life altering experience and devasting to one's life. Part of the brain, called the Limbic System which controls emotions, decisions, depression is effected. Limbs can be permanently crippled, thus physical therapy is extremely important by someone with knowledge of rsd and just how far to push us.
After 13 years of RSD, I am still mobile in my feet, but would be in wheel chair without a doubt if not for physical therapy,massage therapy and swimming, water therapy. I have one crippled had, like a claw. Therapy was delayed due to misdiagnosis. My right hand is good, but has rsd in it. I have full body RSD.
Most of us have serious sleeping problems, many of us have terrible headaches. I'm not trying to discourage you, but to inform you how serious this is to get IMMEDIATE TREATMENT. You may need a good WC attorney to get this speeded up and get full possibility for lifetime medical compensation.
I know Dew on this site can help you.
We have short term memory loss permanently, grasping for words, forgetting words we are looking for in speech, a little slower in getting words out. There are few of us that can get by without strong pain medication. Anxiety is a component of RSD, thus many of us are on anti- anxiety med and sleeping meds.
RSD is an autonomic disorder, which is a disorder that effects our organs that are involuntary. Like our heart, lungs, blood pressure, both high-caused by the sympathetic nervous system and low blood pressure, caused by the parasympathetic nervous system. Sweating is common, I go from sweating to being ice cold. We never want to use ICE for our symptoms. Weather changes can effecting our condition and many have moved to warm climates to be in less pain. I live in Arizona.
The RSDSA annual meeting was here, in Scottsdale, AZ which I attended in February. They had 4 Drs. and a Scientist speaking. Their website I believe can tell you of your nearest RSD support group. You just put in your zipcode. Most of us are managed by a Pain Center or as in my case, my Neurologist is also a Pharmacologist and Psychiatrist and has helped me more than I can say to adjust to this disorder that totally changed my life and got me on the proper doses and different meds to be able to function. Most of us ca not work- some are. Federal Gov. recognizes RSD for Disability.
I'ts really important to have a good Neurologist familiar with RSD. If you are open to say what state and area you are from you may get someone near you to give you suggestions in that area.
I would encourage you to read as much as possible on this site, even going back in time to older threads. You can also PM people, that means Private Message and they type back a Private Message keeping personal information to themself.
You'll find this a group, like a family, caring, supportive, and willing to do all they can to help you get thru this. Again, I'm very sorry you are going thru this, please let us know how we can help in any way. Your friend,loretta hugs
loretta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (05-27-2009)