View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrex View Post
Sometimes I question whether some spinal lesions were ever real to begin with. They vary quite a bit in appearance and I think it's possible to over-call them, i.e., false positives. This is an area where, contrary to the brain (for which I think mid-field is fine), high-field scanning is best...and by high-field, I mean 1.5T or higher. 1.5T is great because it is very high quality with fewer flow-related artifact issues than 3T.

I can't recall following a patient with spinal lesions, Cherie.

They say that something like 75% of us (or more?) eventually have spinal lesions, but I think they base that on symptoms that appear to result from the spinal cord "damage". I think spinal lesions can actually be quite sneaky to detect, and/or alternatively (visually) "over-called".

Honestly, I don't know how you guys can spot spinal lesions anyway, especially if they are not enhanced with gad. He showed me my "big" one's and I couldn't tell that anything was different on the image.

With me, they "estimated" my first spinal lesion would be found in the upper T-spine, but I didn't have a MRI at the time because I refused a MRI. They estimated the second spinal lesion was about C-3, and it was a few months later that I finally had a MRI. The lesions were found at T-2 and C-2/3 . . . almost right on the money. My symptoms were VERY obvious though, as I had had Transverse Myelitis attacks.

I don't think they do spinal cord MRI's for MS patients, at least not nearly as often as they do brain one's. Seems to me a lot of people have "regular" brain MRI's, but spinal one's only intermittently (as required?). I guess you wouldn't have that many patients that came back for repeat spinal MRI's, at least not in a short'ish time span.

I've only run into one other person, who absolutey has spinal lesions (extremely large due to NMO) and she said her "scarring" remained after the inflammation died down. I guess that's what I'm expecting to see.

This is why I haven't had another MRI . . . makes my brain hurt.

Thanks for the feedback, Wiz and Rex.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
april1848 (05-28-2009)