View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 01:27 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Vijay and welcome to NeuroTalk. Like Dew said this portion of NeuroTalk is about RSD or Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. It's a wonderful support group for ones with this neurological disorder friends and family.
A hot burning sensation is a sympton of RSD or another disorder. What kind of Dr. did you take your Mom to? RSD is a complex disorder with various symptoms that are similar to us all, but varies as well to individuals. We are on similiar medications, but also people react differently to meds, so there may be variance of meds.
Many get this disorder after an injury at work or any kind of injury or accident. After surgery ( that is my case) or even following a stroke or heart attack. In some cases there is no known cause. There is no cure for RSD, but it can go into remission- I did twice and then had a water skiing accident. and now have RSD full body-which means feet, legs, hands, arms , body neck etc.
It was four years before I was diagnosed/ was misdiagnosed actually. I eventually flew across the country to a well know sports injury group of orthopedic drs. saw the hand dr. and he diagnosed me in 1 minute sent me to hospital for nuclear med tests on hand. confirmed. started physical therapy. returned to Arizona and saw a nuerologist who did more testing and confirmed. saw a orthopedic hand surgeon who saw me and confirmed and started physical therapy. My hand frozen frozen solid, very sensitive to touch and burning. The therapy because of being delayed, only went so far, got partial use of 4 fingers, it's paralyzed like a claw/
Neurologists and Orthopedic Drs in my opinion AND Pain Management Centers are the most likely to recognize RSD and test correctly. RSD is important to get diagnosed correctly as soon as possible for treatment and remission.
Don't stop without a diagnosis and still having symptoms,no matter what it turns out to be. Did your Mom fall or twist and ankle, foot or hand? Am curious why you thought it might possibly be RSD? Many people have never heard of it, including most of us that have it. I do hope you find some answers and your Mom gets relief. Take care, loretta
loretta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (05-30-2009)