View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 02:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile My daily useful things

Hi All,
I just joined neurotalk and was going over what everyone does to help themselves. I also have things that help me...for one thing I have to stay warm and I mean warm. I live in the desert and dress like it was winter lol. My affected area is my right leg but recently I seem to have problems with the lower half from the waist down. I find that if I wear lycra pants/underarmour or biker shorts under clothing, it helps with the sensitivity. It acts like a second skin and also keeps my legs and back warm. I also use warm ups on top, cotton of course, as we all know the type of material has a great affect on our bodies. I wear mens tanks under my cotton shirts and always carry a sweater since the ac can have a ugly effect on me. To sleep, I use an electric blanket at all times...no matter where I am. I've been in Vegas and Phoenix and have hauled my blanket. Not only does it keep my legs warm but I find that it has a positive effect on my muscle and joint stiffness and is light enough to not cause me pain. Believe it or not but you don't really sweat as much when your symptoms are controlled this way, at least for me. The other thing I do and have found big benefits is my diet. I try to follow the Dr. Hooshmans Four F's Diet from Fla. I really try to listen to my body now more than in the past. When I eat things I shouldn't my body will tell me, mainly white flour and sugary things. Since I follow the diet as much as I can, which I'm not rigid about, I have been able to keep my RSD symptoms at bay for the most part. I have pain but nowhere near when my body is in, what I call, spastic mode. In the beginning, I found melons (like cantalope, honeydew, and watermelon) and fresh pineapple to really control my pain since I also have disc degenerative disease. I think that has been the biggest change I have made that has had the greatest results on my body. My leg doesn't swell and at times is normal warm, which my leg is not cold or like a piece of frozen meat. I am currently looking for recipes that other RSD sufferers have developed following the Four F's diet. The best I have done so far is altering diabetic recipes. My mom has been a big help altering foods to help me. The last thing I do for myself is I keep moving. I excercise as much I my RSD and back problem will allow, which includes jumping in the pool. I also bike and do table excercises my therapist gave me. I find that when I don't excercise I feel worse... more stiffness and my leg looses strength fast. I am so terrified of becoming more immobile than what I already am. So that's what I do for myself... I hope someone can offer something I haven't mentioned that has helped them. I've been searching for a positive support group so if anyone knows about one online pls let me know. I give myself alot of support and more than what some groups I joined can do for me...so finding a positive one is important.
Swhoney is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote